PLEASE NOTE: funding for the 2017-2018 cohort will be fully dependent on renewal of our parent grant (currently under review). We will update all applicants as more information becomes available later this year.
To apply for the program you must meet the following requirements:
- Be a citizen or permanent resident of the United States, or a citizen of one of our collaborating countries (Kenya, Peru, India, Thailand, Ghana, Cameroon, Uganda)
- Be affiliated with a US institution or one of our international partner site. Partner sites for each country are listed on our website.
- Currently enrolled in a doctoral program or post-doctoral fellowship (e.g. T32 fellowship or medical residency program) or have completed an advanced degree within three academic years. Master’s degree students are not eligible unless they have already received an advanced degree (MD/PhD or international equivalent).
- Available to dedicate 40 hours per week to research for 12-months at the international fellowship site.
- Available to begin the fellowship in July 2017.
Please note: we accept applications from individuals from non-consortium US institutions. However, we only accept applications from LMIC individuals affiliated with institutions within our consortium. For a list of affiliated institutions, please review the country pages on our website.
We accept applications for research from a variety of disciplines, but have special interest in those related to:
- Nervous System Disorders
- Mental Health
- Women’s Health
- Maternal/Child Health
- Cardiovascular & Blood Disease Disorders
*Please note, these are only priority areas. Other areas of research are also eligible.
Completing an Application
A complete application includes the online application form and the submission of two letters of recommendation.
The online application form will require you to submit: unofficial transcripts, a research proposal, personal statements, a list of mentors, and personal background information. For the research proposal, you are welcome to design your own research study through the guidance of your mentors or to integrate into a study currently being conducted.
Letters of recommendation should be sent to Yolanda Thomas at ythomas @ uw.edu.