Applications for 2021-2022 will open in August 2020.
To apply for the program you must meet the following requirements:
- Be a citizen or permanent resident of the United States, or a citizen of one of our collaborating countries (Kenya, Peru, India, Thailand, Ghana, Cameroon, Uganda, Nepal, Liberia) or other LMIC country.
- Currently enrolled in a doctoral program or post-doctoral fellowship (e.g. T32 fellowship or medical residency program) or have completed an advanced degree within five academic years.
- Master’s degree students are not eligible unless they have already received an advanced degree (MD/PhD or international equivalent).
- Have a mentor at a US institution within our consortium who is familiar with your work and who is aware of your Fogarty application.
- Have a mentor at one of our approved international partner sites who is aware of your Fogarty application.
- Available to dedicate 40 hours per week to research for 12-months at the international fellowship site. Outside clinical duties are now allowed during this period.
- Available to begin the fellowship in July 2020.
- Available to spend the 12-months at the fellowship site with limited travel away from the site.
- Applicants can only have one application reviewed by a Fogarty Global Health Program for Fellows and Scholars consortium at a time. For a list of other consortia, please visit: https://www.fic.nih.gov/Programs/Pages/scholars-fellows-global-health.aspx
- We accept applications from individuals from any US institution. However, we can only accept applications from LMIC individuals affiliated with our approved sites.
- Applicants can only apply to one Fogarty Global Health Program for Fellows and Scholars Consortium at a time. For a list of other consortia, please visit: https://www.fic.nih.gov/Programs/Pages/scholars-fellows-global-health.aspx
- Choose a research site. Review our approved site list (below) and country pages for more information.
- Choose a research area. Review our research priorities or propose your own area of research based on your interests/training.
- Choose a mentor. You can utilize our mentor database or propose mentors you have already worked with. Note: at least one of your mentors should be from within the consortium. For assistance identifying mentors: contact program staff at email@example.com.
- Write your application!
- You can build upon previous trainee projects or build your own project through the assistance of mentors. To learn about previous trainee projects, please review the trainee section of our website.
- You will need to submit a tentative budget for your study. Please note that funding for research studies is limited to $7,500 for Scholars and $10,000 for Fellows.
- Have 2 letters of recommendation emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org by November 1. A 3rd letter of recommendation is optional
- At least one letter should be from an in-country mentor from your research site and one from a collaborator within our consortium.
We will review all applications between November-December, conduct interviews in late 2019 and notify the status of applications by March. Fellowships begin July 1.
If you would like to discuss your ideas and background with someone prior to applying, please email program staff at email@example.com for assistance!
Completing an Application
A complete application includes the online application form and the submission of letters of recommendation, 2 are required and a 3rd letter is optional.
The online application form will require you to submit: unofficial transcripts (predoctoral applicants only), research proposal, tentative budget for your study, personal statements, a list of mentors, and personal background information.
For the research proposal, you are welcome to design your own research study through the guidance of your mentors or to integrate into a study currently being conducted.
Letters of recommendation should be uploaded to your application or emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org by November 1st.
Current approved international sites
Your research would need to be conducted at one of these fellowship sites:
- University of Yaounde
- Komfo Anokye Teaching Hospital
- Kwame Nkrumah University of Science & Technology
- Navrongo Health Research Centre
- University of Ghana
- Makerere University
- Mulago Hospital
- Global Health Uganda
- Uganda Cancer Institute
- Mahidol University
- Khon Kaen University
- The Thai Red Cross AIDS research Center
- Prince of Songkla University
- Chulalongkorn University
- Chiang Mai University
- Universidad Peruana Cayetano Heredia
- Universidad Nacional Mayor de San Marcos
- NAMRU-6 (Peru)
- Instituto Nacional de Ciencias Neurologicas
- University of Nairobi
- Kenyatta National Hospital
- Kenya Medical Research Institute
- Moi University
- Manipal Academy of Higher Education
- Jawaharlal Nehru University **limited approval
- All-India Institute of Medical Sciences New Delhi **limited approval
- National Academy of Medical Sciences
- Kathmandu University
- Dhulikhel Hospital
- Nepal Burn and Cleft Center – Kirtipur Hospital
- University of Liberia
We accept applications for research from a variety of disciplines, but have special interest in projects related to:
- Neurology/Nervous System Disorders
- Cardiovascular & Blood Disease Disorders
- Sickle Cell
- Mental Health